Sunday, November 14, 2010

So Dang Spoiled

Dang y'all, fortune smiles upon me! After a busy day working at Jessica's fabulous organic farm, I came home with an incredible bounty of produce. New life change: I am an amateur farmer with too much food (not complaining).


Isn't it beautiful? This Saturday was my fourth day at the farm, and I couldn't be happier with my new job. It is very clear to me that this is a step in the right direction.

Soon after arriving home to a very happy puppy, I got word that my badass friend, Dave, finished the latest modifications to my bicycle! No more perpetual motion of the pedals, woohoo! Watch out world! Here comes a safer, sassier cyclist! As if my night wasn't already completely delightful, Dave's badass wife, Missy, delivered dinner right to my table:
  • Fish tacos with mango avocado salsa (all-time fave)
  • Black bean, jicama, corn salad (sdd)
  • Fresh sliced pineapple (fave)
  • Pumpkin brioche bread pudding (o.m.gee)

I am notoriously seduced by food, it's no secret. But there are few things that satisfy my belly the way good fish tacos satisfy my belly. Most specifically, this recipe. I have a borderline love affair with these tacos. They are simultaneously simple and tricky, but arguably more simple than tricky.

Halibut Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
Mango Avocado Salsa

Honestly, the tricky part is finding the ingredients. To make mango avocado salsa you have to have a ripe mango and avocado on hand, which is easier said than done (although, I suspect you can use frozen mango). Then, for these tacos to be completely outstanding, you have to go to a tortillería to buy soft corn tortillas, which isn't a big deal, just a little out of the way. I go to a little place, called Bianca's, where 1 lb. of fresh corn tortillas = $1! Bianca's tortillas are amazing.
I would love to be a total foodie and request a steak of pole-caught amberjack from the Gulf every time I make these, but I typically don't have time for all that, so I usually buy a couple of frozen steaks of halibut from WFM. When I say "steak" I mean steak. No tilapia allowed. Seriously, tilapia does not belong in a taco unless it is expertly battered and deep-fried, and even then, it's not my first choice. I know tilapia is hella affordable, but there is a reason for that (if you want to know more, send me an email, sodangdelicious@gmail.com, and I will do my best to explain). On that same note, having these tacos is a rare treat for me, which is why I got all excited and had to write about it on SDD.

I acquired this recipe some years ago, and subsequently shared it with my friend/coworker. It was from a domestic ladies' magazine, but I forgot which one and I forgot to cite it in my recipe collection, so I can't tell you who, specifically, is responsible for this goodness. I can tell you it's not me, although I am definitely responsible for those tacos in the picture above.

Fish Tacos & Mango Avocado Salsa
  • 1 mango, peeled, pitted & cut into 1/3" cubes
  • 1 ripe avocado, cut into 1/3" cubes
  • 2 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 c fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice + wedges for serving
  • 1 3/4 tsp kosher sea salt
  • 3 Tbsp cornmeal
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1tsp chili powder
  • 1 lb. white fish (halibut, flounder, or amber jack), skinned & bones, cut into 3/4" cubes
  • 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced
  • 4 Tbsp canola oil (approximately)
  • 16 6" fresh corn tortillas
Place mango, avocado, scallion, cilantro, juice, and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl; toss gently for salsa. Set aside.
Combine cornmeal, cumin, chili powder and remaining 1 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl; add fish and toss until coated well (discard excess coating); set aside.
Using 2 Tbsp (approximate), lightly brush onto one side of each tortilla. Heat a large non-stick skillet (cast iron if you wanna be SDD) over moderately high heat. Add tortillas in pairs with uncoated sides together and cook, turning once, until just golden and starting to crisp, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with a towel.
Heat remaining 2 Tbsp oil on the same skillet. Add jalapeño and fish; toss to coat with oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fish is just cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Spoon into paired taco shells. Serve with salsa, lime wedges, and hot sauce, if desired.
Please be warned, you will be spoiled after eating these tacos. Fish tacos will never be the same.

The mango avocado salsa is SDD on almost anything spiced with cumin and/or chili powder. If you are opposed to eating fish, replace the fish with tempeh. An especially lovely friend of mine turned me on to the combination of tempeh and quinoa in tacos. SDD without a doubt. Spice up your quinoa with scallions and fresh basil, and add it to the mix!

I would really like to take this opportunity to thank Missy & Dave for being so wonderful!

2 comments: