Sunday, November 13, 2011

So Hott

Jalapeños and lavender. Oh baby, you so cray cray. Sometimes accidents happen and the results are beautiful.

Let me start from the beginning. I came across some promising jalapeños at the farm today, so I do what I always do when I have killer jalapeños.


I make hot sauce, duh. Fortunately, I also had a bit of cilantro in the fridge that was nearing the end.

Green on green action = brilliant.
Hott Sauce
Combine 3 large spicy jalapeños (de-seeded) with 1 clove of garlic and as much cilantro as you can handle. Add 1 Tbsp (maybe 1.5 Tbsp) of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp sea salt, and a squeeze of lime if you're feeling extra verde. Blend until smooth. Store in the refrigerator.
So hott.
Ready for immersion.
Simultaneously I was making 3 other things, as I so often do, one of which was a veggie barley salad from my fav vegan cookbook.


Barley Corn Salad
(modifications below)
  • 8 large brussel sprouts, steamed & quartered
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1/4 cup (or more) red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 cup green onion, diced
  • 2 Tbsp flax oil or olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp Italian parsley, minced*
  • 1 1/2 tsp tarragon, fresh minced*
  • Pinch cayenne pepper
  • Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Black pepper, ground to taste
*left out
"Place water and barley in a medium pot and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed, approximately 45 minutes."
"Fluff grains with a fork, add to large mixing bowl with remaining ingredients and mix well."
Based on ingredients I already had, like some dang lavender sea salt, I made the following modifications.
  • Replace plain Jane sea salt with a pink sea salt, lavender blend (you can do this, ask me how)
  • Replace Italian parsely with lacinato kale
  • Add 1/4 cup finely sliced carrot
  • Add 1/4 - 1/3 freshly grated Parmesan
  • Add 1-2 Tbsp jalapeño hot sauce (from above recipe)
lavender sea salt
jalapeño, lavender, barley ménage à trois
your body wants this
 Like I said, sometimes accidents happen and sometimes it's so dang beautiful. I must also admit, barley is one of my favorite grains, right up there with whole oat groats. I could go into more detail, but as I read out loud anything I try to write about barley, it sounds wildly inappropriate. Let that be your official barley advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment